Kōmyō-ji 光明寺

About Kōmyō-ji Temple

Kōmyō-ji Temple is a Jodo sect Buddhist temple located in Kamakura City, Zaimokuza. It was originally established as Rengeji Temple in Sasukegayatsu in the year 1240 and was founded by Nena Ryochū, with the support of Hōjō Tsunetoki. In 1243, it was moved to its current location and renamed Kōmyō-ji Temple.

During the Muromachi period, it was restored by Yūsū, who is considered a revivalist founder. In 1495, it was designated as a temple by imperial decree from Emperor Go-Tsuchimikado.

Kōmyō-ji Temple houses two national treasures, the Illustrated Biography of Taimamandalaengi in Two Volumes and a Hand-Painted Copy on Paper, which was created during the Kamakura period. It depicts the famous Taima mandala and the legend of Chūjō-hime. Additionally, it has important cultural properties such as the main hall, a hand-painted copy of the Taima mandala on silk, an illustrated biography of the five founders of the Pure Land sect, and 19 arhat and monk statues.

Address: 6 Chome-17-19 Zaimokuza, Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture
– By foot: 26 minutes from JR Kamakura Station
– By Keikyu Bus: Take Bus No. 7 bound for Kotsubo via Zushi Station(小坪経由逗子駅行き), get off at Kōmyō-ji-mae bus stop(光明寺前バス停), and walk for 1 minute.

Hours: 6:00-17:00 (April 1 to October 14), 7:00-16:00 (October 15 to March 31)
Admission fee: Free
Toilets: Available
URL: https://komyoji-kamakura.or.jp/


・Nearby Shrines, Temples, and Other Sights

Chōshō-ji 長勝寺(徒歩13分)


・Cafes and restaurants around Kōmyō-ji temple

<< Southeast area of Kamakura