Myōhō–ji 妙法寺

About Myōhō–ji Temple

Myōhō–ji Temple was founded by Nichiren in the 5th year of the Kencho era (1253) on the site of a grass hut in Matsubagayatsu. The actual founder of the temple was Nichiei, the posthumous son of Prince Moriyoshi, in the 2nd year of the Enbun era (1357). Nichiei built the main hall and other temple structures in this location to commemorate the soul of his father, Prince Moriyoshi. He named it “Ryogon-san Homyoji” after his childhood name, Ryogonmaru. At the summit, you can see Prince Moriyoshi’s tombstone. The temple is also known as “Koke-dera” (Moss Temple) due to its beautiful moss-covered stone steps.

Location: 4-7-4 Omachi, Kamakura City
Access: 15 minutes on foot from JR Kamakura Station
Hours: 9:30-16:30 (Please note that from early December to mid-March and from early July to mid-September, the temple is open for visits only on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.)
Admission Fee: 300 yen for adults
Toilets: Availabl


Nearby Shrines, Temples, and Other Attractions

Ankokuron-ji 安国論寺(2-minute walk)


・Cafes and restaurants around Myōhō–ji Temple

<< Southeast area of Kamakura