About Meigetsu-in Temple
Meigetsu-in Temple was founded as “Meigetsuan” by Yamanauchi Sudo Tsunetoshi to mourn the death of his father, Toshimichi, who died in the Heiji Rebellion. In 1269, Hōjō Tokimune established Zenkoji Temple, which was later renamed Meigetsu-in. The shogun Ashikaga Ujimitsu rebuilt the temple, which marked the beginning of Meigetsu-in.
Although Meigetsuin was a sub-temple of Zenkoji, the main Zenkoji temple was abolished during the Meiji Restoration (1867), leaving only Meigetsu-in as the surviving temple.
Meigetsu-in is also known as the “hydrangea temple,” and many tourists visit in June to see the hydrangeas.
Location: 189 Yamanouchi, Kamakura City
Access: 10-minute walk from JR Kitakamakura Station
Hours: 9:00-16:00 (June 8:30-17:00)
Admission fee: 500 yen (children 300 yen)
Separate admission fee of 500 yen for the entrance to the temple’s main garden, which is open only during the iris and autumn foliage seasons.
・Nearby Shrines, Temples, and Other Attractions
Kenchō-ji 建長寺（11-minute walk）
Engaku-ji 円覚寺（8-minute walk）
Tōkei-ji 東慶寺（8-minute walk）
・Cafes and restaurants around Meigetsu-in Temple