About Kakuon-ji Temple
Kakuon-ji Temple is a Shingon Buddhist temple of the Sennyū-ji branch located in Nikaido, Kamakura City, Kanagawa Prefecture. It was originally built as the Okura Yakushi-do Hall under the belief in the Yakushi Nyorai by Hōjō Yoshitoki, and in 1296, Hōjō Sadatoki established it as Kakuon-ji Temple, a place for learning the four Buddhist sects of Shingon, Tendai, Zen, and Jodo, with Chikai Shine as the founding priest.
The main statue of worship, a wooden seated figure of Aizen-Myōō, as well as the statues of Nikko Bosatsu and Gakkou Bosatsu, the Twelve Divine Generals, the founding priest’s pagoda, and the Great Lighthouse are all designated as important cultural properties of Japan.
This temple, surrounded by nature, offers a quiet and serene atmosphere and is also known as a popular spot for autumn foliage.
Location: 421 Nikaido, Kamakura City
– By foot: 31-minute walk from JR Kamakura Station
– By Keihin Kyuko Bus: From the east exit of Kamakura Station, take the 鎌20 bus [鎌倉駅-大塔宮] and get off at Daitounomiya (大塔宮), then walk 8 minutes.
Admission: 500 yen for adults, 200 yen for children, (free admission area available near the entrance)
Photography: Photography and videography are prohibited beyond the admission desk
・Nearby Shrines, Temples, and Other Sights
Sugimoto-dera 杉本寺（15-minute walk）
Tsurugaoka Hachimangu 鶴岡八幡宮（18-minute walk）
Zuisen-ji 瑞泉寺（21-minute walk）
・Cafes and restaurants around Kakuon-ji Temple